Today Sam and I discovered that home made sushi tastes just as good as the stuff you would buy in the shop, if not better becuase you can make it out of what ever you like.
Here is my step by step guide on how to make sushi rolls.
This is what you need.
1. Measure out 1 cup of sushi rice (makes 3 rolls) and rinse under cold water until it runs clear.
2. Put the rice into a pan then measure 1 1/4 cup of cold water, add to the rice then bring to the boil on a high heat. Once the water boils, turn the heat right down and cover. DO NOT TOUCH THE RICE – this is hard as I love stirring my rice as it cooks! Leave for 7-9 minutes. Check after 7 minutes to see if the water has all been soaked up, if it hasn’t let it keep cooking and check every minute. Once it is cooked turn off the heat and leave the rice covered in the pan until you are ready for it later.
3. Whilst the rice is cooling, prepare your vegetables. In these rolls we used Cucumber, Carrot and Spring Onions. I picked quite a long carrot so that I only needed one strip per roll, I also measured the cucumber against the nori rolls. Cut the veggies into strips like this.
4. Boil the carrots for around 6 minutes, you don’t want them too soft they’re good with a little crunch!
5. Using a wooden spoon, scoop out the rice onto a large plate so that it can cool down. If there is some rice stuck to the bottom of the pan, leave it there as these peices will be dry.
6. Lay your sushi mat onto the side and place a nori roll on top. Lay a thin layer of rice onto the roll so it looks like this. Leave some space at the bottom and the top so you get a good tuck.
7. Pop a peice of carrot, cucumber and some onion ontop of the rice at the bottom of the roll.
8. Using the instructions on the packet (forgot to photograph this bit!) roll up the sushi rolls. They should end up looking like long tight sausages!
9. Pop them onto a chopping board and use a sharp knife to chop off the ends and slice into individual sushi rolls!
Let me know how you get on making these delicious Sushi Rolls! I would love to see your pictures! Tag me @toyahemily on Instagram or find me on Facebook Toyah Emily.