After Sam baked this today, I asked him if he would marry me it was that good! He said no of course, BUT. Considering Sam doesn’t bake and I left him to it. He nailed it. This cake is just perfect. Slightly crisp on the edge but gorgeously moist in the middle.
250 ml Soya Milk
100 ml Water
200 g Dates (pitted and halved)
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
115 g Vegan Spread
115 g Soft Brown Sugar
200 g Self Raising Flour
1/8 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Ground Ginger
1/4 tsp Ground Cinnamon
1. Heat up the oven to 190°C
2. Throw the dates into a saucepan and cover with the soya milk and the water. Bring to a simmer until the dates have softened.
3. Turn the heat off and add the bicarbonate of soda, it should start to froth. When this reaction has happened, leave the mixture to cool.
4. Whilst the date mix cools, beat the sugar and the butter until it is a lovely light pale colour.
5. Add the cooled date mix into the creamed butter / sugar combo and stir until it is evenly combined.
6. Add the spices into the flour and sieve into the wet ingredients.
7. Pour the mix into a loaf tin and bake for around 30 minutes (oven dependent). The sponge should bounce back when poked!
Toyah Emily xox